Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Munchies for Munchkins




Tonight I will be instructing the Meals and Nutrition for Munchkins with The City of Barrie. I've had a lot of fun preparing for this seminar while looking at cookbooks, which are my favourite type of book. I love trying new recipes and this gave me a great opportunity to check out new books and recipes to share with the parents attending.
Here I have made the "Hale and Hearty Fruit Dip" from The Kid-Friendly Food Allergy Cookbook by Leslie Hammond and Lyne Marie Rominger. F.Y.I. This book is available at the Barrie Public Library.

For the smiley snack:
I used a plain rice cake for the face, spread the fruit dip on the face, orange slice for the mouth, dried cranberry for the nose and 2 whole, natural almonds for the eyes. The hair is unsweetened coconut flakes. Steve, my guinea pig, loved it!

For those of you who missed the class, stay tuned for more of my informative sessions with The City of Barrie.
Fruit Dip:
1 cup cottage cheese (or yogurt)
1 tbsp honey (optional, local honey is the best)
1/2 firm banana
1/3 cup fresh or frozen berries (I used raspberries)
Squeezed juice from 1/2 fresh orange
1. Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
2. Refridgerate for 30 minutes and serve with fruit or rice cakes and crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment