Monday, March 8, 2010

Follow your instincts!

It's funny how some of us operate. I'll talk about myself because I know I'm pretty bad when it comes to doing the things that benefit me most....and yes, STRETCHING, is my least favourite thing to do. I know it's good for me and my muscles. And, yes, I know regular stretching will help decrease the chances of me getting aches and pains...but it's boring and slow and it takes time! :(

But...if I were to have observed Rigley (my little furry 12lb constant doggy companion and official "greeter" at The Healing Oasis) the other morning I would have noticed something...

Number 1. He LOVES sleep. I got up Sunday morning and made myself a coffee so I could read in bed for a bit and he had jumped up in my nice warm spot and grabbed a few more significant minutes of shut eye.... Sleep helps our bodies heal itself which is why it's important to get enough of it each night.

Number 2. When he finally decided to get out of bed, he jumped down, and just sat there for a few seconds taking in the day. Something that might actually be good for us to do; take a few deep breaths to welcome the day, take note of all our blessings, and be grateful for our good fortune... Seems like a nice way to start the morning off!?

And Number 3. He stretches! He lies flat on his belly and stretches both front and back legs out straight and just holds it there for a bit. And then he might tuck in his front legs and readjust the back legs for a better stretch. And then he sits up and stretches his neck way up and then he even does the downward dog with his bum up in the air and his front legs out in front of him!

So, yeah, this is extremely cute and amusing for me...but it's also something I (and everyone) should pay attention to; he's following his instinctual behaviour to keep himself limber and healthy. We, as humans, might want to follow in his "paw-prints" and give our bodies what they need. Proper nourishment, exercise, and stretching to help keep those muscles limber and avoid unnecessary aches and pains.

I have to say, I went for a walk that night and did stretch when I got home, and you know, I felt much better afterwards and I didn't have the leg pain or the low back pain I usually get after going for a walk. :)

For more information on proper stretching and form, please give us a call and we will be happy to spend a few minutes with you to show you how to stretch.

Yours in health,

Lee Anne & Rigley

1 comment:

  1. Rigley is a great role model - always so happy, welcoming and accepting of all people. And the stretching is a great idea too!

    Whitney

    ReplyDelete