Monday, April 12, 2010

Day 3 - Cleanse with Your Friends


Days 1 and 2 went fairly well. My first challenge was going over to my friend, Nicole's house to watch a movie. Movies usually mean popcorn and this is a huge thing for me not to have popcorn. It's my one true love...besides Steve and Daisy.

So, I brought my own homemade guacomole and some brown rice cakes for a snack. We had tea (no wine) and she was very supportive:)

Last night I made a huge pot of Red Lentil Soup, which will be part of my lunches this week. I got the recipe from a fabulous whole foods book titled "Nourishing Traditions" By Sally Fallon. I will share a modified version of her Roman Lentil Soup. I used the chicken stock I made in my crockpot a few days ago with the bones from a whole chicken.
3 medium onions, peeled and sliced
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
3 tbsp of olive oil
8 cups of chicken stock or combination of stock and water
2 cups red lentils
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried green peppercorns
1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice
In a large stainless steell pot, cook onions and carrots in oil until tender (about 20-30 min). Add stock and lentils and bring to a boil. Skim off foam produced by the lentils. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Puree the soup with a handheld blender
Add lemon juice and enjoy!
Stay tuned for the continued saga of the cleanse and more recipes:)
Whitney Young, ND

No comments:

Post a Comment